It has come to our attention that recent Microsoft updates have impacted several users’ Epicor environments in terms of performance. These Epicor Client performance problems manifest most often in significantly decreased speeds and hang time when carrying out processes within the Epicor system. The updates causing the issues were released by Microsoft in both February and April of 2021. Sr Principal Engineer, Epicor ERP Technical Support, Nathan Anderson, has identified one potential resolution in the form of an Epicor Preview Microsoft Fix.
Keep in mind, that his article is not a formal recommendation for any one business in particular. This potential fix may be able to alleviate a system’s poor performance as a result of those aforementioned Microsoft updates. Each customer will need to determine whether or not this fix is appropriate for their system after due consideration of the variables as summarized in KB0108621 and elsewhere. This fix is only meant to remedy system performance issues until an official solution is provided by Microsoft through their official update channel.
A Statement From Nathan Anderson
The steps to apply the preview Microsoft fix below are provided to try to help our customers that have been negatively impacted by these Microsoft updates until the official fix can be delivered by Microsoft through their normal update channel. Epicor ERP Support has made every effort to document this process in a way that would lead to the greatest chance of success while working with the conflicting interest of doing so as quickly as possible.
The steps that follow are technical in nature, and may be beyond what a specific user can successfully execute despite ERP Support’s efforts to streamline the steps to apply a fix to a product we don’t support using a process the author of this knowledge article was first exposed to applying the preview fix being discussed in this article. If there are challenges that prevent the successful application of this Microsoft preview fix, and while ERP Support would not be able to assist there are resources available that would be able to assist further including Epicor Professional Services and Epicor’s Partner network.
Sr Principal Engineer, Epicor ERP Technical Support
High-level Technical Information Regarding The Preview Fix From Microsoft
- This is an interim delivery mechanism for this preview fix as Microsoft will be rolling it into an upcoming Patch Tuesday– the specific date of which has not been set by Microsoft at this time.
- The preview fix will not need to be uninstalled for the official Windows patch to be applied when it is released through regular Microsoft update channels.
- The preview fix will lead to the same performance behavior outcome as the official fix. This is the final production quality fix.
- There is a Local Group Policy adjustment to apply the preview fix (this step will not be required with the official fix from Microsoft). The only difference between the official Windows update and this preview fix is the adjustment required for the preview fix.
Steps To Apply Epicor Preview Microsoft Fix
1. Log into the Windows machine in question with a user account that has local administrator rights, then click Start and launch winver.
2. When the About Windows form appears, locate and make note of the Windows version.
3. Download the Microsoft hotfix for the Windows version identified in step 2 from the table below.
|Windows Operating System version||Link to Microsoft hotfix|
|Windows version 2004 and 20H2||Windows 10 (2004 & 20H2) Known Issue Rollback 040221 01.msi|
|Windows versions 1903 and 1909||Windows 10 (1903 & 1909) Known Issue Rollback 040221 01.msi|
|Windows version 1809||Windows 10 (1809) & Windows Server 2019 Known Issue Rollback 032321 01.msi|
4. Locate the downloaded Microsoft hotfix .msi, and right-click > Install.
5. Click Next/Yes through the setup wizard, then click the Finish button when the Completed the Known Issue Rollback Policy Definitions Setup Wizard window appears.
6. Click Start and launch Edit group policy.
7. Within Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to:
NOTE: The specific navigation for this step will be different based on the Windows version of the Microsoft fix installed. Only one of the following will be available–navigate to the subfolder node that begins with Windows 10
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > KB4601383 Issue 003 Rollback > Windows 10, version 1809 and Windows Server 2019
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > KB4601380 Issue 001 Rollback > Windows 10, version 1903
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > KB4598291 Issue 001 Rollback > Windows 10, version 2004
8. Right-click on one of the following settings and select Edit
NOTE: The specific setting name for this step will be different based on the Windows version of the Microsoft fix installed. Only one of the following will be available– right-click > Edit on that setting.
9. Select Disabled, then click Apply and OK.
10. Restart the machine to complete the process.
Video Recording of Epicor Preview Microsoft Fix Process
About Encompass Solutions
Encompass Solutions is a business and software consulting firm that specializes in ERP systems, EDI, and Managed Services support for Manufacturers. Serving small and medium-sized businesses since 2001, Encompass modernizes operations and automates processes for hundreds of customers across the globe. Whether undertaking full-scale implementation, integration, or renovation of existing systems, Encompass provides a specialized approach to every client’s needs. By identifying customer requirements and addressing them with the right solutions, we ensure our clients are equipped to match the pace of the Industry.