In Electronic Document Interchange (EDI), an EDI 940 Warehouse Shipping Order communicates to the warehouse, relaying information and instructions on what product(s) to ship, the quantity, and when the shipment will be executed.
Once the EDI 940 Warehouse Shipping Order has been sent, an EDI 945 Shipment Advice is deployed from the warehouse. It includes all of the pertinent details of the shipment that are then used by a seller to produce an 856 Advance Ship Notice and an 810 Invoice.
EDI 940 Format
EDI 940 Warehouse Shipping Order Key Data
Information provided in an EDI 940 Warehouse Shipping Order will typically include:
- Manufacturer information
- Required delivery date
- Item descriptions and quantities
- Recipient information, including name, ship-to location, contact info, etc.
- Billing information
- Shipment method details
- Shipper stipulations
EDI 940 Warehouse Shipping Order Benefits
EDI 940 offers plenty of benefits to both the purchaser and the supplier. When implementing electronic warehouse shipping orders, benefits can include:
- Better visibility into shipping details for buyers, sellers, and warehouses
- Reduction in manual entry of data, resulting in ease for buyers, sellers, and warehouses
- Automation of order entry streamlines processes and improves efficiency
- Automation of order entry reduces order and shipment inaccuracies
For more information on Encompass Solutions’ EDI offerings, read more about our Rapid EDI Implementation.
About Encompass Solutions
Encompass Solutions is a business and software consulting firm that specializes in ERP systems, EDI, and Managed Services support for Manufacturers and Distributors. Serving small and medium-sized businesses since 2001, Encompass modernizes operations and automates processes for hundreds of customers across the globe. Whether undertaking full-scale implementation, integration, and renovation of existing systems, Encompass provides a specialized approach to every client’s needs. By identifying customer requirements and addressing them with the right solutions, we ensure our clients are equipped to match the pace of Industry.
- 2019 Innovations in Global Cloud ERP Suites – Report – Epicor ERP - February 23, 2021
- IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Manufacturing 2021 Predictions – Report – Epicor ERP - February 18, 2021
- Epicor Quality Management System (QMS) – FAQ – Epicor ERP - February 18, 2021