In Electronic Document Interchange (EDI), an EDI 810 is the electronic version of a traditional paper invoice. Used primarily in the manufacturing and retail industries, an EDI 810 Invoice is sent by the vendor or supplier to a retail partner or distributor to request payment for products and/or services.
While the EDI 810 invoice is the most commonly utilized electronic invoice, there are multiple EDI documents supporting invoicing. In addition to the 810, EDI 880 and EDI 894 are commonly used. The former invoices grocery products specifically and the latter is utilized for vendor managed inventory (VMI) models.
EDI 810 Format
EDI 810 Invoice Key Data
The EDI 810 Invoice contains several key data elements that help route the correct information during a transaction. These data are:
- Invoice number
- Purchase order number
- Invoice date
- Product and service identifiers, including UPC/EAN/GTIN, as well as their quantities
- Item price
It is not uncommon for additional data to be included in an EDI 810, depending on the client’s needs and level of customization. Additional data may include:
- Carrier and service levels
- Invoice terms
- Ship to and remit to locations
- Vendor number
- Charges and/or allowances
- Buyer item number
- Vendor part number
- Shipping information
EDI 810 Invoice Benefits
Utilizing the EDI 810 invoice offers several benefits to both the supplier and the purchaser. These benefits will depend on the transaction’s level of automation and integration on either party’s system. These benefits can include:
- Increased efficiency, reduced time to complete transactions, and decreased volume of paper flow
- Less time spent in manually submitting invoices on the supplier’s end
- Less time spent manually entering invoices on the purchaser’s end
- Increased resources to focus on value-added work for both supplier and purchaser
- A significant reduction, if not outright elimination, on errors associated with manual entry
- Reconciliation against orders/shipments to verify correct invoice amounts
- Better order fulfillment
- Faster payment
For more information on Encompass Solutions’ EDI offerings, read more about our Rapid EDI Implementation.
About Encompass Solutions
Encompass Solutions, Inc. is an ERP consulting firm, NetSuite Solution Provider and Epicor Platinum Partner that offers professional services in business consulting, project management, and software implementation. Whether undertaking full-scale implementation, integration, and renovation of existing systems or addressing the emerging challenges in corporate and operational growth, Encompass provides a specialized approach to every client’s needs. As experts in identifying customer requirements and addressing them with the right solutions, we ensure our clients are equipped to match the pace of Industry.